top of page


Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

  • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) is a welfare program that gives cash aid and services to eligible needy families. Families that apply and qualify for ongoing assistance receive money each month to help pay for housing, food and other necessary expenses.

  • Call 800-843-6154


IDHS- Illinois Department of Human Services

Emergency Rental and Utility Assistance-

  • Eligibility:

    • Illinois residency

    • Financial hardship due to, or during, the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic

    • Applicant's household income does not exceed 80% Area Median Income (AMI). Priority will be given to applicants who either have a household income below 50% AMI or are unemployed and have been unemployed for 90 days

    • Citizenship is not required. Rental assistance is not a "public- charge" benefit

    • Applicant has not already received ERA benefits for the same time period from the Illinois Housing Development Authority, or any other County, or City of Chicago program

  • How to apply: 

    • Eligible tenants and landlords can apply for the ERA program by contacting any of the agencies. You can search for an agency nearest to your residence of an agency that can meet your language need. 

Court Based Rental Assistance

  • The Illinois Court-Based Rental Assistance Program (CBRAP) provides funding to Illinois tenants and landlords across the state (outside of Cook County) who have pending cases in eviction court. The program is only available to litigants in eviction court. Applicants may qualify for up to $25,000 in emergency rental payments that can include up to 15 months of past-due rent and 3 months of future rent payments to prevent eviction

  • The CBRA Program is managed by the Illinois Housing Development Authority. For more information, please use this link:

  • Residents of Cook County can access Court-Based Rental Assistance to prevent eviction through the Cook County Legal Aid for Housing and Debt. For more information, please use this link:


  • The Rapid Re-Housing program provides financial assistance to the homeless. Assistance with security deposit, move-in and rental costs is available for qualified candidates.


  • Eligibility: 

    • Must be homeless to receive services. 

    • All referrals must go through Entry Point (info is below) to receive services. Call 1-877-426-6515 or email


Housing Forward


Catholic Charities- New Hope Apartments

  • The New Hope Apartments Program-West provides rapid rehousing service to homeless families with children.

  • This program provides: 

    • Rehousing services

  • Clients are also provided with:

    •  Intensive case management

    •  Personal financial education

    •  Individualized employment assistance

    •  Counseling 

    •  Community referrals to help families become self-sufficient.


  • 708-329-4043

The Alliance to End Homelessness in Suburban Cook County

Entry Point

  • Entry Point is the Coordinated Entry (CE) System for individuals and families experiencing homelessness or who are at-risk of homelessness in Suburban Cook County.

  • Services provided included:

    •  Connections to housing assistance providers throughout suburban Cook County

    • If you are about to become homeless, newly homeless, or just need help accessing services, give us a call or visit one of our walk-in centers.

  • Call 877-426-6515


Mortgage, rental, and utility assistance

  • The Alliance to End Homelessness provides financial assistance with mortgage, rent, utilities, and other housing issues to prevent homelessness in Cook County.

  • We provide financial aid for: 

    • Mortgage

    •  Rent payments

    • Rent deposits

    • Utility payments

  • Call 877-426-6515


The Salvation Army


La Posada

  • La Posada works to restore families who are experiencing homelessness to stable and permanent living situations by providing interim housing, case management, and support services. 


  • Eligibility:

  • Must be referred from the city of Chicago’s emergency shelter system EHARC (Emergency Homeless Assessment & Response Center) at Salvation Army Shield of Hope in Chicago.

  • Must meet Income Poverty Guidelines.

  • Applicants must be an adult over the age of 18 with minor children.

  • Call 773-782-8820

Heartland Alliance Health- Affordable Housing

  • Heartland Housing develops and manages sustainable, innovative and high-quality affordable housing.

  • This program provides:

  • Affordable residential housing

  • Visit the website to view available properties. Some units have specific eligibility requirements, such as age or income.

  • Call 312-660-1374


Illinois Housing Development Authority 

  • Illinois Homeowners Assistance Fund


  • The Illinois Emergency Homeowner Assistance Fund (ILHAF) program is now accepting applications for assistance!

  • The Illinois Emergency Homeowner Assistance Fund (ILHAF) provides up to $60,000 in mortgage assistance to eligible homeowners — paid directly to the servicer, taxing body or other approved entity. If you need immediate assistance with housing expenses due to a pending foreclosure, or assistance completing an application, please contact a legal aid organization or a HUD-approved housing counseling agency (see map below) right away. Please add your name to the mailing list to be notified of future application rounds. If you have any questions about one of the above statuses, please contact ILHAF customer relations at 866-454-3571, or send an email to 


Rental Housing Resources

North West Housing Partnership

Vision of Restoration 


  • 708-344-3774

  • 902 Madison Street, Maywood, IL 60153 

  • Strives to advance the welfare, quality of life, and unity of children and adults by providing comprehensive, rehabilitative programs and services within the community. Our scope of programs includes mental health and social services, career development and enrichment, housing assistance, economic development and educational services. 

New Moms 


  • 773-252-3253

  • 5317 W Chicago Ave., Chicago IL 

  • Permanent Supportive Housing Application 

    • For young moms, 18-24 years old with children 

    • For families experiencing homelessness 

    • All residents pay rent based on income 

    • All residents partnered with a family coach 

  • To start application, call 312-361-1707 to complete a housing assessment 

Free Home Energy Savings Assessment  


  • 855-660-9378 

  • ​Schedule a free in-home or virtual assessment to identify ways to help bette manage energy use and reduce monthly costs. 

CEDA Housing Services 

  • Comprehensive housing counseling services providing information, education and advice to homebuyers, homeowners, renters, and the homeless.  Homeless counseling services may include working collaboratively with other partners to rapidly transition homeless male veterans and homeless individuals into the joint transitional/rapid re-housing program.


  • To schedule a telephone or online counseling session 

  • Call 312-288-8010 or email

Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 1.46.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 1.46.25 PM.png

CEDA Utility Bill Assistance 


  • Heating, electricity, water and furnace bill assistance. 

  • Most CEDA utility assistance programs determine income eligibility based on the gross income of the household in the last 30 days.  The table below can be used to estimate your household’s potential income eligibility:

Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 1.44.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 9.07.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 9.08.51 PM.png
bottom of page